To be able to learn anything from geoponics, let’s look at what geoponic means. Geoponics is also known as simple husbandry. In agriculture, it is the raising and breeding of animals. In farm practice, it is the growing of plants in normal sand. A geoponic farm depends on soil with nutrients required to feed the plant mixed in during its short life span. This kind of farm requires a distribution system to deliver water. This type of farm where plants grow in different techniques like hydroponics, grown in water. SoHum growing soil is an excellent example of this.
Here are some points to consider before growing geoponics
- The first thing that should be on your list is where to plant, lighting, space, and other plant necessities.
- Next is the kind of plant you want. Do you want flowering plants or beautiful green leaves?
- Do you want a plant that seasons every year?
- Third, his much time are you ready to commit to the plant?
How to care for a SoHum growing plant, geoponics plant
- Potting soil should always be moist, not wet. If potting sand becomes lighter in color and breaks, it means that water is needed.
- Plants shouldn’t get to the stage that it begins to wilt or soil starts pulling away from the potting. That indicates that your plant is dehydrated.
- Brown, yellow, or curled leaf edges
- Translucent leaves
- Slow leaf growth
When these signs start to show, it means that your plant is already too stressed.
Do not add too much water to your plant. Adding too much water will damage your plant just like not adding enough. Regularly watering your plants forces the sand to open, and root-killing fungi and bacteria can easily move in. Overwatering is the most frequent killer of geoponic plants.
Signs of overwatering:
- Leaves with brown rotten patches
- Standing water in the bottom of the container
- Fungus or mold on the soil surface
- Mushy brown (maybe stinky) roots at the bottom of the pot
- Young and old leaves falling off at the same time.
What can geoponic plants teach us?
When you visit a household that has SoHum growing soil and geoponic plants, one of the first things you’d notice is the plants add to the house’s beauty. It teaches tenacity and that as much as humans need to rely on each other to survive, that shouldn’t take our individuality away from us.