Perth is the capital city of Western Australia. Lying approximately 3,000 miles (4,800 km) away from Sydney and Melbourne on the west coast of Australia, Perth has a population of around 1.7 million people living within its area. Many people believe that Perth is an isolated country town far away from civilization; however this is not true. Perth is a busy, vibrant city full of life and opportunities. There are many good reasons to move to Perth. So what are the fun facts about Perth?
- Perth was founded by Captain James Stirling on 18 June 1829 as the administrative centre of the Swan River Colony in Western Australia. Initially known as “The Clearing” and “The Town of Perth,” it was later renamed to Western Australia’s only significant coastal city when European settlement expanded very little beyond the Swan River.
- Perth is named after the city of Perth, Scotland, UK which in turn was named after the town of Perth, Ontario, Canada which itself was named after Perth, Scotland because of its similarity in appearance to Perth, Ontario.
- Despite the fact that it is almost 3,000 miles (4,800 km) away from other large cities like Sydney and Melbourne, Perth population has increased by around 50% since 2002. This number currently stands at 1.7 million people living in Perth’s area which covers an area of around 57 miles (92 km) long and 23 miles (37 km) wide.
- Perth is located between the Indian Ocean to its west and the Darling Scarp to its east; this puts it at a lower altitude than the eastern states of Australia which allows for hotter summers, milder winters and earlier springs and later autumns. Perth has a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters. Temperatures during summer months range from a low of about 70°F (21°C) overnight to a daytime high of around 103°F (39°C). In winter months temperatures can drop as low as 40°F (4°C) but usually stay above 60°F (16°C).
- Perth has recently become Australia’s fourth largest city after Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. It is starting to catch up to the size of Brisbane which currently has a population of around 2.2 million people. The Australian Bureau of Statistics predicted in 2011 that Perth will overtake Brisbane by 2030 when its population reaches 3 million people.
- Perth is not recognised as one of the top financial cities in Australia, but has become an important area for mining, petroleum, and other resource-based industries. These industries have helped Perth’s economic growth soar since the early 2010s. Furthermore, these strong job opportunities have made Perth a highly attractive place to live with many people moving there from other parts of Australia and from across the world.
- Perth is a vibrant, exciting city with plenty to do for both tourists and residents alike. Perth has a great nightlife scene thanks in part to a large international student population. There are many good reasons why you should consider moving to Perth. If you do not believe me then here are some fun facts about Perth to help change your mind!
- Perth is home to many beautiful beaches, parks, and rivers. Perhaps the most famous beach in Perth is Cottesloe Beach which was rated as Australia’s best beach by the Australian Research Council. It has a long stretch of white sand that curves gently into the clear water of the Indian Ocean and is surrounded by lush green parks and patrolled by lifesavers during peak times.
- Perth has a large Chinatown area which features authentic Asian food and culture; this area of Perth is very popular with tourists and locals alike. There you will find many excellent Asian restaurants as well as traditional Chinese grocery stores filled to the brim with exotic spices, teas, noodles, and vegetables. The traditional Chinese architecture of the larger buildings has also been preserved making Chinatown one of Perth’s most scenic areas.
- Perth is home to many natural attractions that are well worth a visit including beaches, parks, rivers, and lakes. You can explore wonderful bushland at Perth’s various national parks or cool off in one of Perth’s popular beaches.
If you are an outdoorsy person, Perth is the perfect place to live. There are many fun things to do outdoors in Perth including cycling, rock climbing, fishing and more! If you love the great outdoors, then make sure to visit Blackwall Reach in Perth for some awesome views.
Does this article interest you in finding someone to keep you company in Sydney? Log on to Ivy Societe, and make sure that your interests are well met.