Kimchi is an easy recipe to make. It takes only about 30-45 minutes to prepare. The dish is full of healthy probiotics. There are several benefits of kimchi. This recipe is for people who crave vegan and gluten-free recipes. You can prepare it as per your taste.
Kimchi is infused with various Korean flavors like garlic, ginger, and Korean chilies. It boosts immunity, helps in digestion, and energizes the body. Make sure that you are buying the refrigerated kimchi and check for any preservatives.
In this article, we will tell you how to make kimchi (วิธีทำกิมจิ, which is the term in Thai).
Following are the ingredients that you require to make the authentic kimchi:
- 2 pounds cabbage
- 1/4th cup sea salt or kosher salt (iodine-free)
- 5-6 cloves (grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon salted shrimp paste or fish sauce (if you don’t have it, use 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1-5 tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces Korean radish (peeled and finely cut)
- 4 scallions (medium) (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Water (distilled or filtered)
How To Make Kimchi
Now, it’s time to make kimchi. Follow the steps given below and enjoy the authentic kimchi:
- Cut the luggage lengthwise into 2-inch strips.
- Put it in a bowl and add sprinkle salt on it. Mix it with your hands so that the cabbage softens. Cover the cabbage with water. Let it sit for 1-2 hours.
- After the cabbage is soaked up, drain and rinse it with cold water thrice.
- Now, make the spice paste. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, fish sauce, shrimp paste, or water in a bowl. Stir in the Korean red pepper flakes. Keep it aside.
- Combine all the vegetables and spice paste. Squeeze excess water from the cabbage. Add radish and scallions.
- Mix all the vegetables and the spice paste thoroughly until everything is perfectly coated.
- Pack the kimchi in a 1-quarter jar. Keep the jar at a cold temperature, without the reach of direct sunlight.
- Let it ferment for 1-5 days.
- Check it every day. Refrigerate it when ready.
Your kimchi is ready! You can now enjoy your flavorful, natural, and probiotic dish and boost your immune system. There are several variations to this recipe. You can make it according to your preferences. This is the recipe on how to make kimchi and enjoy the delicious recipe with your friends and families.